[Using Sakai] LMS evaluations & comparisions?

Gregory Guthrie guthrie at mum.edu
Mon Oct 29 20:37:59 PDT 2012

Very interesting and good inputs and replies - thanks.

So it seems then that it is clear that Sakai is better?!  :-)

I agree with the view that feature/by/feature comparisons are not so useful, especially in an ever evolving area like this, where features are always co-evolving among different systems. Of course this makes an institutional decision more difficult, and less quantitative.

I thought that Scott's comments really seem to indicate that a choice doesn't matter (unless I missed something), as either Moodle/Canvas/Sakai as three main candidates all have both paths open that he describes, open source and modification, or subscription to a commercial service.

It is interesting that edX and courser are not building on any of these existing big installed base systems, I wonder what new sorts of features they will create and introduce, and how that will drive the evolution of current mainstream LMS systems.