[Using Sakai] Sakai usage & features

Gregory Guthrie guthrie at mum.edu
Tue Jul 17 20:18:50 PDT 2012

We are new to Sakai, and trying to evaluate it as a comparison to Moodle & Canvas.

Perhaps it is just new-user blues, but I am amazed at how hard it is to port my existing web pages for a course into Sakai, a few examples;

1)      I have a syllabus page, and want to reference other tools in a hyperlink, but cannot find out how. The hyperlink tool seems only to point to web pages on the resources page, or external URLs, I can't find a way to link to (for example) the assignments tool page.

2)      The editor and editing process is ridiculous. It opens in a very small window, and if I use the magic (ctl-alt-enter) it expands, but then with no visible indication that it is in a new mode and cannot be saved until reverted to the small window.
I pasted in some plain text from word, and on a save get a series of errors :"The HTML tag <xml> ..." with no indication where in the edited input file it finds the error. And so deleting it all and doing a paste-from-word, gives the same result.

Ctl-A Ctl-C copy the whole window and paste back into word, loses formatting, and all graphics.

So now I am stuck with a page that will not save, won't copy out correctly, and won't tell me where it finds invisible errors.

3)      Editing in the larger window, fi I scroll down to edit the bottom of the text, then the edit toolbar scrolls off the top of the browser window - so I have to page up/down to edit anything on the lower part of the window.

I realize that one overall disclaimer is to just say "don't' use the editor", use Word & paste, but this seems like a significant weakness in a content creation tool, and as noted above even that has problems and limitations.

If I am missing something please inform me, we are trying to evaluate these tools!