[Using Sakai] Requesting Help In Copying Courses from One Semester to Another (without breaking links)

Beth Kiggins kiggins at uindy.edu
Tue Jan 17 12:07:32 PST 2012

We've only been using Sakai for two academic years. We've continue to
experience this problem. I used the Import from Site to copy an old
course site to a dummy site earlier today. The URLs in Resources changed
while those in Lessons were the same as the original course. We, too,
would appreciate a resolution.

What we've done thus far: (in either instance we set the top level
folder to Public)

    * Recommend faculty use course specific folders in their MyWorkspace
      to house files they link to from Lessons (this also keeps them
      from copying many of the same files each semester)
    * Recommend faculty who team teach use a Project site to store
      course-related files

We only use Course Resources for files that change from semester to
semester (like the syllabus). So far, this is working for us.

Question - what experiences do you have with the Export option in
Modules? I haven't had a chance to test it.

Beth Kiggins

On 1/6/12 2:30 PM, Valenti, Andrew P. wrote:

> Hi Sakai Colleagues!
>
> Happy New Year!
>
> I am writing to solicit ideas, suggestions, and solutions to problems
> that occur when links to tools & content in one course site are
> created using the Import from Site tool to bring content into a new
> course site.
>
> *The Problem*
>
> In the Tufts instance of rSmart Sakai CLE 2.7 (which we call Trunk),
> we do not use Sakai Course Management.  A new course is created each
> semester, automatically triggered by the appropriate SIS information;
> under our course management process, course shells are not reused from
> semester to semester.  In some schools, it is a common practice that
> instructors create a syllabus using an HTML page in which they insert
> links to their course materials using the FCK editor and these links
> will be "absolute" meaning they point to the resources contained in
> the original course site.  The first time the course is created
> there's no problem as the instructor/site owner has permission to
> access them.   Let's suppose that in a subsequent semester a new
> instance of the course is created and the instructor decides to
> populate it  using the /Import from Site/ tool.  If the instructor
> selects the check box for importing Resources (along with whatever
> else is needed), the tool will bring in the syllabus and the course
> materials.  If no further action is taken to modify the links that are
> in the copied syllabus, the following will happen.
>
> To the instructor clicking on a link in the copied syllabus, the
> instructor is able to access the content and everything appears to be
> working.  To a student, confronted by an HTTP access error message,
> the links appear "broken";  what has happened?  The "absolute" link in
> the copied syllabus points to the course material in the instructor's
> original course site for which the student does not have permission to
> access.  Thus, the instructor can see it but not the student.
> Interestingly, the course material copied from the original site is
> "orphaned" with no links pointing to it.  Emerging from discussions
> with our internal support team and our Sakai vendor, rSmart, were
> three alternatives:
>
> *Option 1 -- Use a non-production site as a Sakai "content repository"*
>
> a.Create a root site that serves as a content repository and make the
> content "public".
>
> b.In the original course design, ensure that the syllabus uses links
> pointing to the desired content in the repository site
>
> c.When the course is copied over, the links in the syllabus will work
> because they correctly point to content that has been made public.
> Since no actual course material has been copied to the new course
> site, there is no "orphaned" content.
>
> Advantages:
>
>     * Instructors don't have to be aware of "relative" vs. "absolute"
>       addressing
> [...]

Elizabeth A. Kiggins
Assistant Professor and Director,
Learning Technology
University of Indianapolis
1400 E. Hanna Avenue
Indianapolis, IN  46227
(317) 788-6154

"Tell me and I forget, show me and I remember, involve me and I understand." Chinese Proverb