[Using Sakai] Unpublished site content available - feature or bug?

Algaze, Louis Contractor, eDataTech ljalgaze at nps.edu
Wed Apr 11 13:41:24 PDT 2012

While troubleshooting an instructor's question today, I realized that she has a web content item showing the Resources area of an unpublished site with the content set as Only members of this site can access the content.  If a student is enrolled in both sites, the site holding the Resources does not need to be published for student access.  Is this a feature or a bug?

I can see it as a feature as it would allow instructors to have a "repository" site that the students can not access in which to store all of their content.

I can also see it as a bug as content is available (security by obscurity) to enrolled students before instructors publish it.

Should it be like this?
Is it expected to change in the future?

Thanks,

Louis