[Using Sakai] Malware filtering

Marshall Feldman marsh at uri.edu
Thu Sep 1 17:38:13 PDT 2011

Hi,

I have a few questions about transmitting malware from documents
submitted by students.

Someone here mentioned that the Assignments tool automatically scans
documents for viruses. I think he was specifically talking about
Microsoft Word files (.doc and .docx), but if this is true, what is the
complete set of file-types that are scanned?

Second, is this only a feature of the Assignments tool, or is it general
throughout Sakai. For instance, does the same apply to the Samigo tests
& quizzes tool?

Third, in general what are the best practices for maintaining security
when using Sakai?

Fourth, have there ever been reported cases of macro, pdf, or other
viruses or other forms of malware spread via Sakai? If so, how did they
happen, and what steps have been taken to prevent a reoccurrence?

	Thanks,

	Marshall Feldman