[Using Sakai] [sakai-kaltura] How do you approach Sakai timeouts when viewing long video content

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Tue Nov 29 07:28:14 PST 2011

You can refresh the users session by periodically polling
<servername>/direct/session/current

Hitting this url will update the session time. If it's not on the same
domain, you might not be able to get at the values but that wouldn't be
important.

You'd probably have to add some javascript to Kaltura or if you're using
the Sakai kaltura tool to do it. This sounds like what David did?

A long timeout doesn't seem like that big of a deal anymore though either.
All of the big platforms (GmailFacebook/Twitter/etc) seems to have nearly
unlimited length sessions. I've never seen a logout message on any of those
sites. I think students would be risking a lot more (socially) if they left
a public computer logged in nowadays while remaining logged into those
services. ;)

-Matthew