[Using Sakai] Question about Sakai -> Registrar integration

Gordon, Patricia (psg3a) psg3a at eservices.virginia.edu
Fri Nov 18 11:58:28 PST 2011

Hi Amber,

We have integrated our Gradebook to export final course grades to our SIS via a relay server. The exported grades are first sent to this relay server, where the SIS system gets them for import and approval by the instructor on that system. Here’s a link to our user guide that describes the process from an end-user perspective:
            http://www.sis.virginia.edu/CenterHelp/helppdfs/ResrcFaculty%20GradingCollabandSIS.pdf
We did the programming in-house. The process has a dependency on the daily roster data feed we get from our SIS. This data is available to instructors to select their roster(s) when creating their course sites. It also updates the enrolled student membership in a site for adds/drops/withdrawals. This keeps the systems mostly in sync (but our Sakai instance lags by a day to updates made in the SIS).

Pros: this is especially useful for courses with large enrollment sets since our SIS has no grade import capability. It also automates the process for getting grades from Sakai to our SIS for all courses that use the Gradebook to calculate final grades.

Cons: We’ve made and must maintain a lot of customizations in Gradebook. For example, since we decided to disable the capability to enter letter grades in our Gradebook, we later decided to add a customization to provide instructors with a way to import final letter grades from a spreadsheet for export to SIS. If you’re interested, this user guide describes this from an end-user perspective:

   https://collab.itc.virginia.edu/access/content/group/ac005a57-c82f-48b8-0075-aae7c8407ca8/User%20Guides/import-letter-grades.pdf

We’re happy to answer other questions about our customizations and process if you have them.

Cheers!
Trisha

Trisha Gordon
UVaCollab User Support Manager