[Using Sakai] Submit button confusion in Tests and Quizzes.

Marilyn Dispensa mdispensa at ithaca.edu
Thu Jun 30 08:01:05 PDT 2011

I found that if I deploy a quiz or survey in Samigo, and it is linear or
multipage, the quiz acts differently if it is 1) linked to from an email
notification or announcement or 2) entered directly from the Tests and
quizzes tool.

1) When linked to, if the quiz is linear and 1 question/page, each
question has a NEXT, SAVE, and SUBMIT Button.
Likewise, if the quiz is multipart and has each part on a separate page,
each page has NEXT, SAVE, SUBMIT.
The last question or page has the SUBMIT FOR GRADING button.

My problem is that I created a two part survey with one part on each
page.  Half of my respondents saw the SUBMiT button on the bottom of the
first page and clicked it, not realizing that they missed the second
page.  I don't blame them since in every online survey or test I've
taken there usually isn't a submit button until you get to the last page.
Does any one else have this problem and is it in the queue to be fixed?
>From a user interface standpoint, I think it is critical that end users
don't have the opportunity to submit before the end.

I made a video of the problem
https://sakai.ithaca.edu/access/content/user/mdispensa/Screencasts/SakaiSubmitProblems_controller.swf

Curiously, if the quiz or survey is entered by linking directly from the
Assessment list from the Test and Quizzes tool, then there is no submit
button, but an Exit button that appears.

Marilyn