[Using Sakai] testing database setup with Sakai

Tapas Mishra mightydreams at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 08:50:16 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 7:08 PM, Mark Norton <markjnorton at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 2/23/2011 7:00 AM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
>>
>> I am using Sakai 2.7 based on configure section of this page
>> https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+2.7
>> in my sakai.properties file
>> I have changed
>> auto.ddl=true to
>> auto.ddl=fales
>> and
>> username at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=yourDbUserName
>> password at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=yourDbPassword
>>  to my details and uncommented the Mysql section as given in section 7
>> of above link.
>
> Generally, it's a good idea to leave auto.ddl to be true.  This flag is used
> to control the creation of database tables at start-up time.  The only
> reason you might want to set it to false would be if you had altered the
> table definitions for some reason (sometimes done for efficiency reasons,
> but pretty rare).
>>
>> Kept mysql-connector-java-5.1.9-bin.jar to $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib
>>
>> and default character set for sakai database is utf8.
>>
>> How do I test whether my settings are working ?
>
> If you have compiled and built Sakai property, start it up in tomcat.  Watch
> the console or follow catalina.out with "tail -f catalina.out".  If the
> database is not working correctly, you will start to see errors pretty
> quick.
>>
>> I want to know if I can log in to my sakai instance and see if things
>> are working so what can I do to check that?
>
> Once Sakai is fully up an running (verify in the console or catalina.out),
> then you can log into Sakai by entering "http://localhost:8080/portal" into
> your browser (assuming you are running it locally).  You should see the
> Sakai login screen.  Enter "admin" / "admin" and you should be able log in.
>  In a production environment, you should change the admin password.
>>
>> I also want to know in Section 8 of same page
>> https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+2.7
>> it has been mentioned to define
>> MYSQL_HOME and my.cnf
>> is all that necessary?
>
> I strongly suggest that you have a close look at
> https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Install+Guide+-+Source+Install+%282.7%29.
>  Follow the directions careful and you shouldn't have any problems.
>>
>> I have installed mysql-server on Ubuntu by apt-get install mysql-server
>> and many other applications are working.
>> I have created a sakai database for sakai instance though.
>
> Mark Norton

Hi Mark,Thanks for the detailed reply.
I had no idea of auto.ddl line.

 I have a working sakai instance you can check it here
http://sakai.openitup.in

I just installed things from binary and have been able to get them
running without any problems.
I do not plan to build from Maven I had downloaded sakai binary and
dropped in an existing tomcat environment I was able to login with
default admin passwords which I changed.

Since I came across that Mysql page so I had this doubt which I had
posted how ever I see the following lines in catalina.out when I
changed auto.ddl=false ( I do not have any plan to change sakai code)
I asked this only as point of view of an end user (sys admin) if every
thing is working fine then I think I do not need to change any setting
for Mysql.
Let me know if I am wrong on this part.