[Using Sakai] some suggestion for the doc of 2.7

Tapas Mishra mightydreams at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 07:17:00 PST 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Steve Swinsburg
<steve.swinsburg at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you want to front Tomcat with Apache, you can use mod_proxy_ajp:
>
> https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/~steve.swinsburg/Fronting+Tomcat+with+Apache+via+mod_proxy_ajp
>
> If using SSL there are a few differences.
>
> cheers,
> Steve
>
> On 01/02/2011, at 10:26 PM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I saw based on the discussion happening here on this forum the
>> documentation page has improved.
>> I want to draw attention of maintainer to this page
>> https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+2.7
>> in section 2.7  Configure Tomcat
>> following is mentioned
>> "Neglecting this adjustment will force users to append /portal to the
>> URL entered to access Sakai each time. If you intend to connect Tomcat
>> with Apache HTTP server you can configure redirections from within
>> Apache, an option that lies outside the scope of this document."
>>
>> If you some one who has used Apache as a front end for Sakai can give
>> a link to the doc as what a newbie should use or mention some sample
>> configuration (vhost file) that would be nice.
>>

>> --
Hi Steve,
I have some doubt with the link you gave
point no 5 of your URL which says

ProxyPass 		/ ajp://localhost:8009/
ProxyPassReverse 	/ ajp://localhost:8009/

in my case the server on which Apache is running and the server where
Sakai is are physically different machines.
So my guess is I should replace localhost by IP of machine where sakai
(tomcat) instance is running.

Also I am not clear with point no 7 of your URL.
Which says

"Once again, ensure you have the line in httpd.conf that is going to
load this ajp.conf file."

here are you referring to the Apache vhost file or apache2.conf I am
having a Ubuntu server which does not have httpd.conf What I till now
have understood the server which faces the internet I should have some
thing defined in Apache vhost on that server.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Here is a configuration if you wan to have a look.(which is wrong so I
posted here)
http://pastebin.com/L32D6ii5
The above configuration is server on which Apache is running and
mod_proxy_ajp of Apache is configured
I have created a file named ajp.conf but not clear with the entries
(if localhost should be used there).
Let me know what you think of it.