[Using Sakai] Module tool not a core tool?

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Mon Apr 11 08:27:24 PDT 2011

Melete (a.k.a modules) is an example of what we term a contributed or "contrib" tool, a class of additional CLE capabilities that can be added to a Sakai release.  Contrib projects range from prototype code to mature projects such as Melete.  A number of what we term "core" capabilities that comprise a general Sakai CLE release such as sakai-2.8.0 start life as a contrib project, the shortenedurl service being but the latest example.

However, considered as a group contrib projects exhibit variable production track records (some strong others limited) and it is for this reason that we recommend careful consideration before adding a contrib tool to your build.  Caveat emptor (e.g., "let the buyer or, in our case, the user beware") is the law in contrib space.  In the specific case of Melete, the code is supported and considered mature and stable.  It also has a strong production track record, having been run in production by a number of institutions over the past several years.

Melete is not included in general Sakai releases because Etudes prefers to organize their development and quality assurance activities independently of Sakai Community release activities.  Melete releases are thus not sync'd with general Sakai releases and occur according to Etudes own release schedule.

Contrib projects tend to thrive when schools exercise the code in production.  If there is a contrib tool that interests you check our Confluence instance for project information and then start asking questions.  There is more to Sakai than what we roll out in a release.

Cheers,

Anthony