[Using Sakai] [Building Sakai] Playing with the 'Neo Portal' from Sakai 2.9

csev csev at umich.edu
Sun Apr 3 20:31:11 PDT 2011

Nate,

For the portal, Internationalization and accessibility are simply essential.  This is why I wanted to get working designs in folks hands so early in the 2.9 process.  In essence, most of the portal change work is now done (6 months before code freeze) so the reviews and details can be dealt with without rushing.  It is also why I made videos and put up example systems to play with - so we get a broad of a review of the work as possible and have plenty of time to adjust if things come up in the testing.  I don't want to be panicking in August.

Actually next week we will get some feedback on the usability of the new portal.  Another class at UM (SI622 - Evaluation of Systems and Services) http://www.si.umich.edu/courses/description.htm?passCID=622 has one of its groups analyzing the existing and new Sakai 2.9 portal and doing user testing of the new portal as part of their class project all next week.   I think the 622 group might have as many as 23 people from a broad range of backgrounds who are experienced users of the current 2.x software taking a look at the neo portal.  They will be seeing it for the first time, unlike my SI791 (http://www.dr-chuck.com/si791-sak/) independent study class that designed and helped build the neo portal.  The feedback from a fresh set of eyes in a formal evaluation will be really helpful.

In terms of accessibility, the portal team added Brian Richwine of Indiana as a committer for the portal.   Brian has made a lot of strong contributions to our accessibility both in the portal and across many of the tools.   Now that Brian has commit, he can just fix things directly in the branch (SAK-19813) or in trunk whenever he decides to take a look at the neo portal and do his analysis.   This way he does not have to submit a patch and wait until someone notices - he can just check it right in so we can move forward more effectively.

Adrian also has commit on portal as that is where the neo chat lives - so he will be able to respond directly to issues as they are identified.

/Chuck