[Using Sakai] [Building Sakai] Playing with the 'Neo Portal' from Sakai 2.9

csev csev at umich.edu
Sun Apr 3 11:45:49 PDT 2011

Nate,

Excellent point.

The core markup that the portal generates is *very similar* the the markup from the existing portal so I hope we have stayed the same or improved.  I think that we may even see some advantages to having more of the possible navigation links in the markup.  Because the top nav links and the drawer links are all in the document already, I could see how folks using screen readers would have a nice set of short-cuts.   I think that reducing clicks is good for all users.   I am sure there will be tweaks.

The reorderer is from Fluid - so that should be fine.

Probably the biggest accessibility issue might be with the new presence and chat - all that markup comes from the background document in divs that are posit processed with trimpath to merge in JSON data.  And we will fix whatever needs fixiing.  We have so much flexibility with all this, I am confident we can make the accessibility of the new portal to be outstanding.

My feeling is that when we merge this to trunk in a few weeks, we will consider every accessibility issue a high priority and work through JIRA to fix them all.  Luckily we have through September to go over this with a fine-tooth comb.

/Chuck