[Using Sakai] [Building Sakai] Support for additional browsers

David C. Minugh David.Minugh at english.su.se
Fri Apr 1 00:20:00 PDT 2011

As an non-developer nearly-end user, I would like to
see some sort of early-warning system for end-users.

    When Microsoft releases a beta version, you
(should) know that you are using an as-yet unfinished
program, and that there may be problems. But when
MS/Mozilla/Google/etc says, "Here's the latest,
greatest version of ...", a sizeable number of staff
and students are going to be early adaptors and install
the new version (the reverse of the
university-controlled system where IE7/etc/etc still
reigns because "We're not sure about IE8 and don't have
the time to roll it out").
    We know that both browsers and SAKAI are evolving
all the time; there will always be transitions. End
users will vary in what seems attractive at a given
time. But what end-users DO need is a *"Don't upgrade
browser X to version Y yet"* warning if major problems
may occur.
    I trust the developers to signal to the community
which problems are blockers; I'd nominate inability to
upload/or vanishing assignments, problems in the T&Q
area, and anything that endangers documents required
for completing studies. Relatively minor problems will
always exist (it took Scandinavian programmers well
over a decade to find consistent ways around IBM's
initial disbelief in accented characters like å and ä).
    In terms of responsibility for disseminating such
warnings, I would assume that developers need to be the
instigators, but individual schools need to be the
implementers I've looked at our version, and there
isn't a trace of a user-oriented discussion of
browser-related problems, although such warnings are
common enough in many programs.

David C. Minugh                			E-mail: David.Minugh at english.su.se
Director of Studies	                        Tel: (+46) 8 16 36 11
English Department                      	Cell phone: (+46) 70 - 23 14 777
Stockholm University                    	Office: E 877, Frescati