[Using Sakai] End-User Documentation

Robin Hill Hill at uwyo.edu
Fri Sep 24 10:40:09 PDT 2010

Dr. Feldman--

As something of a newcomer, I understand your frustration.  As I become a mid-timer, I see the situation more clearly.

Sakai is not a monolithic product with a central documentation team.  Sakai is a cordial family of instances that differ somewhat in their configuration and implementation, to suit the purposes of the particular organization.  The open-source components are the software and its interfaces and the Help files, and they are tailored and integrated on installation.  That's why the best resource for faculty is the institution's own experts.

As for your questions , both of these issues have come up recently at my university, and I am happy to share our results with you, insofar as they apply.

The answer to the Schedule/Calendar question is still emerging-- apparently one of our ".csv" files (exported from MS Outlook, I believe) contained extraneous line breaks.  But most comma-separated values files will import (as the "generic" type) successfully.

As for the Tests & Quizzes metadata, those fields "Objective," "Keywords," and "Rubric" are for instructor purposes, and only appear on that screen (the edit page for the individual question), so issues on delimiting and case-sensitivity are moot.  Although included with a view to future retrieval or other processing, that has not yet developed.

For official documentation, if local help is not open to you, your best bet is to follow the suggestions already given:  Peruse the larger institutions' documents.  Many are quite good.

--
  Robin K. Hill, Ph.D.      Coordinator of Instructional Computing, University of Wyoming
  [On professional leave, 2010-2011]