[Using Sakai] for equations in sakai course

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Wed Oct 27 10:44:22 PDT 2010

Yea, I seriously edited and reformatted it this morning based on my
annoyance with all of the threads that kept coming up about Math, and old
internal emails we had on the subject. I didn't have a ton of time to devote
to it now, but I'll wanted to hammer some stuff out there and get the basics
started.

Like most other topics in Sakai, it's just one of those things where theres
a ton of ways to do it, but to do it in a way that works for everyone is
going to take a decent amount of work. Also considering that the future of
editors in Sakai 2.x is CKEditor (FCK is really depreciated) some things may
need some work in that space as well.

We may even have to have a completely separate editor that someone could
switch to in order for this to work, and it might depend on replacing
ProcessFormattedText with AntiSami, so while on the surface it seems like an
easy problem, a complete solution likely touches a lot of areas. Many of the
implementation ideas I put on there have pros and cons. The renders that do
image conversion would work across the widest variety of browsers, probably
be fastest to implement but would be completely inaccessible. The renders
that are in the javascript based would need some modifications to
ProcessFormattedText in order to save the content correctly. MathML is a
cool standard but (practically) impossible for a human to edit and doesn't
have much browser support (and would need kernel changes as well to allow
the tags)

Anyway, after Math, people will want Chemistry and Music too! We should have
some consideration for these as well. Mark Norton started the page on this
over 2 years ago. [1] ;)

[1] http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/SOUSA/Content+Notes

-Matthew