[Using Sakai] Jasig and Sakai Foundations To Pursue Merger

Josh Baron Josh.Baron at marist.edu
Thu Oct 7 07:27:14 PDT 2010

I'm excited to be able to share with the Sakai community the announcement
below (and attached).  The Sakai Board of Directors and Foundation staff
look forward to engaging with all of our community members at the up
coming EDUCAUSE conference, future regional meetings and, of course,
online over the coming weeks to get your input and ideas as well as answer
your questions.  If useful, we will post a FAQ in the next week or two
based on questions that come in and/or hold some live "webinar" sessions.

Jasig and Sakai Foundations To Pursue Merger

Early this year, Jasig, the parent organization for uPortal, CAS, Bedework
and other open source software serving higher education, and the Sakai
Foundation, which supports the Sakai Collaboration and Learning
Environment, formed Board-level groups to examine ways the two
organizations could collaborate more closely. These Strategic Alliance
Committees, led by Jasig Chair Aaron Godert, and Sakai Foundation Chair
Josh Baron, met in New York in September to consolidate the outcomes of
their discussions and bring proposals to their respective Boards.

Based on the recommendation of both Strategic Alliance Committees, the
Jasig and Sakai Foundation Boards of Directors are today, October 7, 2010,
jointly announcing an intention to pursue a merger of their two
organizations, subject to the approval of their respective communities.
The new entity would foster the development and use of open source
software that supports the academic mission. This goal would be achieved
through the identification and promotion of related best practices for
increasing effectiveness, efficiency, and innovation in academic
institutions, while lowering the risk of the development and adoption of
open source software. It would support the further development of
communities of interest and practice to explore the use of open source
systems and tools to support teaching, learning, research, and other
aspects of the academic enterprise. These communities of interest will
strongly inform future software development effort.

“Through the discussions over the past several months it has become clear
to me that Sakai and Jasig share, at a strategic as well as operational
level, much in common”, said Josh Baron. “I am excited by the coming
together of our organizations, which I see as a natural step in the
evolution of higher education open source initiatives, as it will
facilitate many new and exciting opportunities across the academy.”

The new organization would provide shared infrastructure, expertise, and
other resources for the development of a wide range of open source
software projects that are designed to meet the needs of academic
institutions. It would conduct outreach and explore more meaningful
relationships with a broad range of open source and standards
organizations. It would provide a clearinghouse for best practices on
related management issues such as crafting open source-friendly
procurement processes and assessing the adoption risks of open source
software.

The Jasig and Sakai Foundation Boards of Directors share the conviction
that the values of openness, transparency, and meritocracy that underpin
successful open source projects are profoundly congruent with academic
values. We believe that, beyond the benefits that the software itself can
provide, fostering the skills and experience necessary to manage the
development and implementation itself will strengthen both the commitment
and the effectiveness with which our respective institutions uphold these
values across the entire range of academic endeavors.

“As we look to position our products and communities for continued and
sustainable success into the future, the opportunity for Jasig and Sakai
to join efforts and create a more robust network of open source innovation
and community engagement, is one I am enthusiastic about,” said Aaron
Godert.

Moving forward, the two Strategic Alliance committees will continue their
due diligence regarding the mechanics and practicalities of a merger and
will seek ongoing input from their communities. They will craft a detailed
proposal to be approved by the respective Boards of Directors and then
voted on by their respective communities in the coming months and will be
regularly communicating as this work progresses.

About Sakai
The Sakai Community develops and distributes the open-source Sakai
Collaborative Learning Environment, an enterprise-ready collaboration and
courseware management platform that provides users with a suite of
learning, portfolio, library and project tools. Sakai collaborators -
ranging from educators to engineers - share in their successes and
challenges, honing the community's collective expertise to drive rapid
development of this enterprise-ready platform. Sakai is distributed as
free and open source software under the Educational Community License.
Sakai is an open source software project driven by the Sakai Foundation, a
worldwide consortium of institutions, organizations, and individuals
dedicated to providing collaboration, research, and e-portfolio tools. The
Sakai Foundation is a nonprofit organization that is dedicated to
coordinating activities around Sakai and the Sakai community to insure
Sakai's long-term viability. For more information, please visit www.
sakaiproject.org.

About Jasig
Jasig is a global consortium of educational institutions and commercial
affiliates sponsoring free and open source software projects for higher
education.  Jasig is a member supported, non-profit corporation aiming to
attract, advance, and sustain communities developing enterprise-level,
open source software that helps institutions fulfill their goals. Jasig
connects people, provides infrastructure, and sponsors events that foster
innovation and collaboration.  Jasig's flagship projects include uPortal,
an enterprise portal; CAS, the Central Authentication Service used for
single sign-on and secure, proxied authentication; and Bedework, an
enterprise calendar used for public events and personal and group
calendaring. Jasig also manages a Project Incubator designed to mentor new
open source projects and sponsors communities of practice, such as The
2-3-98 Project, which aims to help institutions understand how to exploit
open source.  For more information, visit the Jasig website at www.jasig.
org.

Joshua Baron
Senior Academic Technology Officer