[Using Sakai] End-User Documentation

Marshall Feldman marsh at uri.edu
Sun Oct 3 21:29:19 PDT 2010

Dear Mr. Smart,

I looked at your documentation, and it's pretty good. Still it doesn't
provide the detailed, technical answers to the sorts of questions I
posed: what are the specs for the csv fields to be imported into the
Schedule tool (your docs only talk about importing from Outlook and
don't describe the fields; what if someone is importing from Thunderbird
or writing their own program in C++ and just want to export to Sakai?),
are keywords case-sensitive and how are they delimited, etc.

I'm not singling out your documentation. It's better than much that's
out there. However, it's still typical in that detailed, authoritative
technical specs are largely absent. I'm posting this because I'd like to
see this conversation shift from "Where should we store end-user
documentation and how should we write it?" to "What should end-user
documentation include and who should write it?"

In one of the other posts on this subject, someone suggested moving the
"technical" information somewhere else, implying end-users don't need
"technical" information. Well maybe they don't need documentation on how
to install Sakai, but why wouldn't then need very technical
documentation for other things?

Some time during the 1980s, software went from being geared primarily
for technical users and shifted to a mass consumer market. Instead of
engineers, software was now targeting secretaries and sales people.
Despite the fact that this list is called "Sakai-user," most of the
participants seem to be Sakai administrators and support staff. Maybe
end users don't participate more because they fall at the low,
consumer-end of the spectrum. I don't know, but a large segment of most
universities' faculties and student bodies are very technically
sophisticated, dare I say more than many Sakai administrators and
support staff. So why does almost all Sakai documentation read like a
"getting started" section in an introductory tutorial for Microsoft Word
rather than the OpenOffice Developer's Guide (which, despite its name,
provides guidance for Basic, Java, and C++ programmers writing software
to interface with the OO API)?

If an end user wanted to user their own css file to give a Sakai course
site a certain look and feel, where would they look to find out how?

     Marsh Feldman