[Using Sakai] for learning material

Charles Hedrick hedrick at rutgers.edu
Fri Nov 5 14:40:43 PDT 2010

I've written a new tool, Lesson Builder, specifically to build learning modules. The Confluence page gives some screen shots. I've done work since there to improve the UI, but the basic functionality is still reflected by the screen shots. (The biggest change is a new dialog for adding material. I only go to the resource picker for picking existing items. Uploads and URLs are entered in a jQuery dialog.) Code is in Contrib.

There are two goals:

* for normal courses, some faculty like to organize things by unit, putting all material, pointers to assignments, etc, in one place
* for fully online instruction we need special facilities for online content. Some of these programs have requirements to document what people have done, and to do selective release of items

Currently I support HTML  blocks (stored in my own data tables), pointers to items in resources or URLs, embedded content from resources or URLs, and pointers to assignments and tests. I've spent much of my time recently working on the UI and understanding how OBJECTs work in various browsers and players. I'm about ready to start adding pointers to discussion topics. That's the last major feature planned, aside from additional functionality in sequencing. (I'm taking a different approach than some to sequencing. Rather than pushing people through a specific sequence, I let you declare that certain items aren't available until all prerequisites have been met.)

I agree with comments elsewhere that it's a problem when copying from site to site. I support copy. It preserves the structure, and resources point to resources in the new site. However pointers to assignments and quizes don't carry over. There was no practical way to make that work. I'd *really* like to see generic infrastructure in export, import, and copy to make this work. For the moment I insert place holders telling people which links need to be updated and to what. If this isn't fixed in 2.9 for real, I'll probably do a hack to make it work.