[Using Sakai] Option to reset the user password if lost

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Mon Jun 7 04:46:30 PDT 2010

Hi Abdul,

Did you restart the app server after changing the sakai.properties settings? The values are read only once, on startup.

Regards
Stephen

>>> Abdul khader <akhader at gmail.com> 6/7/2010 1:05 PM >>>
Thanks for the detailed answer.
The screen shot I have attached was to show you that my account is a
registered type and still rSmart allows the password to be reset from the
!gateway site(The ,main page).
However, the same is not possible in 2.6.2. I enabled the reset-password and
it shows up in the main page. But when I try to change the password for a
registered account, it give an error saying, only guest accounts can change
the password using this option.

So, here is what I want.
I want to use the reset-password to change the passwords for all type of
users(registered, staff, guest etc).
Please help me in achieving this.

Many Thanks
Abdul Khader

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 4:40 AM, Steve Swinsburg
<steve.swinsburg at gmail.com>wrote:

> That screen is the Account page which can be found in your My Workspace. If
> your account is an internal Sakai account (ie you created it in Sakai), and
> you haven't removed the permissions that allow account edits, then you can
> reset the password. This tool allows a logged in user to reset their own
> password to something else they choose.
>
> There is also the Password Reset tool which you can add to the !gateway
> site (ie front page) of your Sakai instance and configure it to allow any
> user type to reset your password. If you note on the rSmart login page,
> underneath the login box there is a 'Forgot Password?' link. This links to
> the Reset password tool. This tools allows a user who cannot login, the
> option to enter the email address associated with their account, and have a
> new password generated for them and sent via email so they can login.
> If you add this tool, you can configure it in sakai.properties via the
> properties you mentioned before:
>
> resetRoles.count=4
>>> resetRoles.1=guest
>>> resetRoles.2=associate
>>> resetRoles.3=staff
>>> resetRoles.4=registered
>>

> So those user types should be able to reset their password via the Password
> reset tool on the gateway. VCheck the type of user that is trying to change
> their password. Also note that if these accounts are coming from an external
> system, eg LDAP, then you can't change your password.
>
> So you have two options for password reset, logged in or not, both distinct
> use cases.
>
> cheers,
> Steve
>
> p.s. This brings up another issue, the naming of the properties is
> confusing since they relate to user types not a roles. I've filed a JIRA to
> change this at http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-18624).
>

> On 06/06/2010, at 7:55 PM, Abdul khader wrote:
>
> Hi,
> Please find attached the screen shot of the page. It is a registered
> account.
> The page shows the functionality to reset the password of the registered
> user in sakai. This instance of sakai is available on the following URL.
> https://mysakai.rsmart.com/xsl-portal
>
> Anyone can register and then use the password reset button to reset their
> password. And it allows even the registered users to reset their passwords.
>
> I would like the same functionality in 2.6.2. When I configure it, it only
> allows to reset the password for guest type users and no one else.
>
> Please let me know how to achieve this.
>
> Regards
> Abdul Khader
>
> On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Steve Swinsburg <
> steve.swinsburg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The link you see there 'Forgot password' actually just links to the Reset
>> Password tool in the Sakai instance, you'll note its the same screen.
>>
>> What is the user type of the user you are trying to reset the password
>> for? And is it an internal account or an externally provided one, eg from
>> LDAP?
>>
>> cheers,
>> Steve
>>

>> On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Abdul khader <akhader at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>> Stepped across https://mysakai.rsmart.com/xsl-portal
>>> This is sakai and still has the ability to reset registered users
>>> passwords. Is that a custom code written by those people or some
>>> functionality achieved by tweaking sakai.properties file.
>>>
>>> I tried setting the following values in sakai.properties.
>>>
>>> visibleTools at
>>> org.sakaiproject.tool.api.ActiveToolManager=sakai.resetpass
>>> resetRoles.count=4
>>> resetRoles.1=guest
>>> resetRoles.2=associate
>>> resetRoles.3=staff