[Using Sakai] Sakai Tests and Quizzes: question about feedback usage

James Marca jmarca at translab.its.uci.edu
Tue Aug 3 11:37:44 PDT 2010

Hi,

We are running Sakai as a semi-formal teaching and learning
environment.  We are using Tests and Quizzes to field questions that
show the student whether or not he or she has a clue.  The primary
goal of the questions is self-assessment.  That said, the project
sponsor (a group within Caltrans) wants the ability to assess whether
or not test takers are getting answers right or not.

We have been using the "immediate feedback" option, which seems to
only be able to show the feedback (in our case, answer plus
explanation) on the same page as the question.  However, now that we
want to check for correctness, we would rather show the feedback after
the question has been answered, but before the next question is
fielded.  The flow would be something like

    Question 1 -> Pick answer -> save and continue
    See feedback for question 1-> continue
    Question 2 -> Pick answer -> save and continue
    See feedback for question 2-> continue

First, is this possible now?

Second, if not, where would I poke around in the code to implement
this?  Can I get it done on the client side in JavaScript (something
like disable the "show feedback" button, remap the save and go on
button to save and show feedback then go on, etc), or does this
require hacking on the Java?

Third, is this something I should put into Jira as a feature request?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

James Marca