[Using Sakai] Forums slowness

Plourde, Mathieu mathieu at udel.edu
Mon Oct 12 11:33:15 PDT 2009

Hi,

As we explore using Sakai as an alternative to coming to class in case of a flu outbreak, some faculty members have expressed some concern about the slowness of the Forums tool in Sakai when there are a lot of participants and messages.

Have your users expressed the same concerns? Did you find a way to fix this slowness? I checked the Sakai Jira tickets and found the following:

DF message loading degrades as topic grows
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-8532

Slow queries from Forums
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-11463

Performance deteriorates for simple actions (ie, New forum, Save and add topic, Save)
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-11186

the main forums page loads slowly
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-16848

Forums/performance issues.
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-16016

Statistics page is still very slow
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-12754

Evaluate Forums Performance from a "site with a large number of groups" perspective
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-11798

Improve Group performance -- especially Site.getGroupsWithMember() method
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-13312

Anyway, any advice or feedback from your institution would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

=================================

Mathieu Plourde, MBA
Project Leader, LMS/Instructional Designer
IT-Client Support & Services
021 Smith Hall
18 Amstel Avenue
Newark, DE 19716