[Using Sakai] Randomly assigning students to groups

Josh Baron Josh.Baron at marist.edu
Thu Oct 1 09:17:25 PDT 2009

Marsh,

I don't believe there is a way to automate those processes although one
might be able to write some code to do it (but that would require
modifying Sakai which may not be the best direction to take on your own).
I can think of a few ways to use other tools to create a random list of
students and then use that to create the groups but that would just be a
workaround...and probably not one that the faculty would receive all that
well.

I know this won't help you in the short-term, but I think the concept of
creating random groups and automatically creating discussion forums for
them sounds like a great idea.  You may wish to post these as feature
requests in the Sakai JIRA system as there is current development work
underway with both the group tool as well as forums.  If you need help
with how to get your ideas out for others in the community to consider in
future development work just let me know.

Maybe others will have better ideas than me.

Josh

Joshua Baron
Director, Academic Technology and eLearning
Marist College
Poughkeepsie, New York  12601
(845) 575-3623 (work)
Twitter: JoshBaron