[Using Sakai] POLL: performance storing resource bodies in SQL database vs network-filesystem

will at serensoft.com will at serensoft.com
Mon May 11 22:01:24 PDT 2009

Hey folks --

In your experience, which of the two is more responsive?

A) storing resources as blobs in networked SQL database fields (where
sql db is on a machine different from where tomcat is serving web
pages)

B) storing resources on networked file storage (where files are
served/saved on a machine different from where tomcat is serving web
pages)

If the answer is "it depends" we'd love to hear the context. Your
input and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

--
will trillich
"Our only real economic security lies in our power to meet human