[Using Sakai] Home Page Components [and Templates]

Marshall Feldman marsh at uri.edu
Fri Jun 26 05:54:53 PDT 2009

Michael Korcuska wrote:
> The Sakai book has a chapter which briefly describes how to make a
> custom home page. The content is available on the Packt website at
> http://www.packtpub.com/article/putting-sakai-to-work.  Fred
> Hofstetter from Delaware also did a presentation at the VT Sakai
> conference that showed some nice work on a custom home page. I
> couldn't find his presentation online, but if you're listening Fred....
>
> The big limitation in Sakai 3 is that these custom home pages can't
> contain the synoptic
> tools. This, as Peter said, is a big part of what Sakai 3 will make easy.
>
> Michael

Great! I looked at it, and this is (almost) just what I want.

Now I have another, related question. I'd like to use my own html file
as the home page, as the book explains. However, I also would like to
display icon-links on this page when it is loaded. In particular, I want
to have icons for new mail, announcements, forum messages, etc. I would
program this in javascript

To take a simple example, the psuedo-code for the new mail icon would be:

    if new mail has arrived
        display icon and link
    else
        hide icon and link

All I need is the "hook" to test if new mail has arrived and the URL to
link to the user's mailbox.

Can one do this in Sakai? How? Where is it documented?

Thanks so much for your help.
--
Dr. Marshall Feldman, PhD
Director of Research and Academic Affairs

Center for Urban Studies and Research
The University of Rhode Island
email: marsh @ uri .edu (remove spaces)

      Contact Information:

        Kingston:

202 Hart House
Charles T. Schmidt Labor Research Center
The University of Rhode Island
36 Upper College Road
Kingston, RI 02881-0815
tel. (401) 874-5953: