[Using Sakai] Home Page Components [and Templates]

Jeff Ziegler ziegler at umich.edu
Wed Jun 24 11:49:43 PDT 2009

On Jun 24, 2009, at 2:09 PM, Marshall Feldman wrote:

> No I can't because I don't have admin user privileges. (Aside: This
> list is called "sakai-user," but just about every piece of advice
> I've received since I posted several questions a few days ago has
> assumed I'm either an administrator or a software developer. Aren't
> there any instructors or students on this list?) I'm just a lowly
> professor trying to set up his courses for the fall.

Hi Marshall,

I've been supporting users of our Sakai instance for about five
years.  I saw your posts earlier but it seemed like you were getting
plenty of answers so I moved on.  Sakaiworld CAN be rather techno-
centric - unfortunately, it's kind of the nature of the beast.

The bad news is that it is not possible at this time for end-users to
customize the layout of their site's Home page.  The good news is
that it is fairly simple for a Sakai admin to remove the synoptic
tools (Recent Announcements, Recent Chat Messages, etc.) through the
Sites admin tool.  This is something I routinely do for our faculty.
Do you have any people who support your Sakai, instance?  I would
contact them and ask if they would re-arrange the layout of your Home
page.  They should know how to do this.  If not, I will be glad to
send them quick instructions.

BTW, in regard to another question you posted - WebDAV has been
notoriously problematic since the inception of Sakai but, to be fair,
the Sakai app is not always the culprit.  I've pretty much given up
trying to get it to work for my users.  Instead, we have them downoad
a 3rd-party WebDAV client to use with Sakai.  To the best of my
knowledge we've never had a user report of these failing to work
(although less technical people sometimes need a tip or two to
understand exactly how to connect).

For Windows, try AnyClient - (http://www.anyclient.com/).

For Mac OSX, try CyberDuck - (http://cyberduck.ch/).

Feel free to email off-list if you have additional questions and I'll
help if I can.

Jeff

Jeff Ziegler - CTools Help Desk Supervisor
CTools Implementation Group
Digital Media Commons, Duderstadt Center