[Using Sakai] Site Delete Policy Question

Jeff Ziegler ziegler at umich.edu
Thu Jun 18 12:57:50 PDT 2009

Hi Dave,

At UMich, we allow faculty, staff and students to create and delete
sites.  The ability to do this for a given site is restricted to the
Owner (maintain) role.  Because the Owner role can delete sites we
recommend that sites have only one Owner (or a select few).

If a site is inadvertently deleted we will attempt to "reconstitute"
the site for them, which is a trivial matter if we can find the site
ID (easy to find if it's a Course site because we track their
creation).  It's harder to find an ID for a Project site, so we
generally ask the user to look through their email and attempt to
find a site notification or other correspondence that will contain
the site ID.  If they (or we) are unable to come up with the ID
there's little we can do.  I've created a local feature request that
will track Project site creation so, hopefully, it will be easier in
the future to find those particular site IDs.

We refer to our process as site "constitution" rather than "recovery"
or "restoration" because the user's configuration of the site is lost
when the site is deleted - the site's selected toolset, participants,
Web Content links, etc. are lost but the content of the most of the
other tools is preserved.  That's rarely a problem because the main
concern is usually the lost Resources files that were on the site (we
have a separate process for recovering accidental deletion of
Resources files).

Jeff

On Jun 18, 2009, at 2:36 PM, David McPherson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently here at VT we have allowed our faculty to create and delete
> sites.  This has cause a few problems with sites that have multiple
> organizers in the sites.  We were wondering what sort of policies
> others may have in place to deal with site deletion, e.g. do you allow
> it?, what you do if a site is accidently deleted?
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> Dave
> Manager, OCS
> Virginia Tech

Jeff Ziegler - CTools Help Desk Supervisor
CTools Implementation Group
Digital Media Commons, Duderstadt Center