[Using Sakai] Tests&Quizzes vs. groups :(

Zhen Qian zqian at umich.edu
Thu Jun 11 20:18:15 PDT 2009

Will,

I assume you were referring to !group.template.course instead of
!group.course.template.

Based on the groupAzgTemplate() in BaseSiteService, the realm used for
group creation is !group.template.SITE_TYPE

protected String groupAzgTemplate(Site site)
	{
		String azgTemplate = null;
		if (isUserSite(site.getId()))
		{
			azgTemplate = "!group.user";
		}
		else
		{
			// use the type's template, if defined
			azgTemplate = "!group.template";
			String type = site.getType();
			if (type != null)
			{
				azgTemplate = azgTemplate + "." + type;
			}
		}

		return azgTemplate;
	}

Groups are created based on the template realm, not the parent site realm.
>From BaseSite.java:

		if (m_azg == null)
		{
			try
			{
				m_azg = AuthzGroupService.getAuthzGroup(getReference());
			}
			catch (GroupNotDefinedException e)
			{
				try
				{
					// create the group's azg, but don't store it yet (that happens if
save is called)
					// use a template, but assign no user any maintain role

					// find the template for the new azg
					String groupAzgTemplate = siteService.groupAzgTemplate(m_site);
					AuthzGroup template = null;
					try
					{
						template = AuthzGroupService.getAuthzGroup(groupAzgTemplate);
					}
					catch (Exception e1)
					{
						try
						{
							// if the template is not defined, try the fall back template
							template = AuthzGroupService.getAuthzGroup("!group.template");
						}
						catch (Exception e2)
						{
						}
					}

					m_azg = AuthzGroupService.newAuthzGroup(getReference(), template,
null);
					m_azgChanged = true;
				}
				catch (Throwable t)
				{
					M_log.warn("getAzg: " + t);
				}
			}
		}

So after you've modified the !group.template.course to have TUTOR role, any
newly created groups for course sites should have TUTOR role inside. So you
SHOULD be able to add site TUTOR users into groups.

How about the error messages now? Any " role undefined: Tutor" messages?

- Zhen

Zhen Qian
Software Developer
Digital Media Commons