[Using Sakai] Summary of May 28 Library Sakai Integration Meeting

Hollar, Susan shollar at umich.edu
Tue Jun 9 13:18:15 PDT 2009

Thank you to all who participated in the May 28 meeting to discuss library integration with Sakai 3.   We discussed potential library vignettes to support incorporation of library-related information, data, or services into a Sakai 3 page.  Vignettes are available at:
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/SLIB/Sakai+3+Potential+Library+Vignettes
In discussing the vignettes, participants expressed the need for interoperability with other systems and concern that building functionality that only works in Sakai may be limiting.   There was some skepticism about the importance of a library search box in Sakai that needs to be discussed further.   We also discussed how the e-reserves model differs across institutions.  The vignettes identified as priority for further discussion were adding a citation to a page and adding a library database to a page.  The group stated it would be helpful to see mock-ups of potential vignettes as well as have a broader discussion about user needs of instructors, students, and librarians relative to library integration.

The next web meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, June 23  at 11:00 a.m. EDT / 15:00 GMT using the Sakai001 bridge.  At this meeting, we'll continue the discussion focusing on a broader look at user needs as well as looking at potential vignette mock-ups.

Please contact Jon Dunn <jwd at indiana.edu> or Susan Hollar <shollar at umich.edu> with any questions or comments.