[Using Sakai] Wimba integration

Ed Garay garay at uic.edu
Wed Dec 2 07:07:08 PST 2009

I don't understand why programmers of LMS integration software for Web
conferencing system like Wimba Classroom, Saba Centra, Adobe Connect
Pro, and Elluminate, fail to provide granular controls for
institutions to conveniently configure the service and interface.

For several years now, we have been running our own on-campus hosted
Saba Centra system. Saba's Blackboard integration is forever useless
because if enabled it would give free reign to instructors to directly
schedule & approve Web conferencing sessions on our Centra server.

Other than that, the Saba Centra Blackboard connector works great ::
it makes it easy for faculty to schedule Centra-facilitated classes
and meetings, it automatically posts announcements and places access
links where desired.

Another problem is that it does not individually enroll class students
for the Web conferences. Instead, everyone is enrolled as a generic
LMS user, which is not very helpful for when students raise their
hands, type anything in the Text-Chat, participate in Web conferencing
polls, whiteboards, etc. or need to be promoted to co-presenters. The
LMS integration needs to enroll each individual student with a clear
identity.

I am experiencing the same crude one-size-fits-all LMS integration for
comercial lecture capture systems like Echo360, Camtasia Relay and
Mediasite.

Frustrating.

--- Ed Garay
Assistant Director for Academic Computing
University of Illinois at Chicago
Academic Computing and Communications Center
Director, UIC Instructional Technology Lab
www.accc.uic.edu/itl

(new) UIC Student Media Lab :: www.accc.uic.edu/sml

[ Sent from iPhone :: sorry for typos, mine or iPhone-induced ]