[Using Sakai] Student contributed assessment questions

Luke Fernandez luke.fernandez at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 16:14:30 PDT 2009

We haven't gone very down the road you are imagining but some of the
below may resonate with your concerns.  On our campus we strive to
provide ways in our homegrown quizzing tool to allow students to
easily provide feedback to an instructor that they could incorporate
into the assessment.  This happens in two places:

1) A good portion of instructors neglect to configure an assessment
correctly; they mess up the delivery dates, leave out a targeted
testing site, or forget to allow access to a particular class.  The
quizzing tool allows the student to select the exam and in one click
send the instructor an email notifying them that they wanted to take
the test but that it wasn't accessible by the student in question.
This feature encourages instructors to manage their tests better and
it cuts down on the support issues that a testing organization
otherwise has to mediate.

2) On our campus we've talked for a long time about incorporating a
similar feature into test questions.   This would allow the student to
email the professor from within a test question.  So if the student
noticed a problem in a question they could click a button and send an
email to the instructor that would include the test question text and
whatever comments the student felt compelled to include.  Since our
testing centers run their quizzing tools in kiosk mode this
effectively prevents the student from sending email during the actual
test.  But with a built in feature like this email could still be sent
and would (like feature number 1) allow instructors to collect "in
situ" feedback from students during an actual test attempt.

Not sure this is what you had in mind or whether it already exists in
Samigo or Mneme....

Cheers,

Luke Fernandez
Manager of Program and Technology Development
Weber State University