[Using Sakai] SCORM in Sakai

James Renfro jlrenfro at ucdavis.edu
Fri Apr 10 16:28:27 PDT 2009

There are at least three different groups working on SCORM players: UC
Davis, CRIM (Sacha Lepretre), and HKUST (William Wan). I think each
group has a slightly different focus. For example, I believe that HKUST
was developing a 1.2 compatible player, but I'm not sure what the status
of the other two players is.

The player that Anthony has pointed you to is the UC Davis one, which
has been in a bit of a holding pattern pending our completion of the new
Gradebook2, which has trumped SCORM in terms of its priority on our
resources. This player is based on the ADL 2004 3rd Edition 1.0 runtime.
It is in a somewhat stable state getting toward the end of its basic
functionality development and runs happily in 2.5, but has yet to go
through QA and still needs various pieces of integration to be completed
(for example, Gradebook integration). It also has some specific bugs
that prevent it from running a certain subset of SCORM content packages.

Recently Maarten van Hoof and Roland Groen (at EDIA), and Nuno Fernandes
(at UFP) have been added to the list of committers for this project, and
are actively pushing it forward in the meantime. They've already
contributed a significant number of useful fixes and improvements, and
have put up a running version of it at:

http://scormplayer.edia.nl/portal/site/scorm-gateway

Best,
James.