[WG: Sakai QA] Sakai 11 status and planning discussion

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Wed Jan 28 06:03:52 PST 2015

[sakai-dev, sakai-qa, sakai-pmc]

Hi all,

There has been ongoing discussion about the scope and timing of the Sakai
11 release on Sakai PMC and some off list discussion.

Morpheus (responsive design) is making great progress and we should see
some commits coming into Github, shortly (week or two). There is also some
discussion of a Morpheus sprint in February.

My perception is that we are heading to a decision that our release
schedule should be based on Morpheus and the QA effort that will be
necessary to make this successful. I am leaning towards proposing this
"officially" so that we can firm up the schedule. Given that Morpheus is
not fully baked yet, and that there will need to be a large QA testing
effort, I would forecast we would complete Sakai 11 in Q4 2015. There is no
harm in setting a target of early August so that if we make fast progress,
one of our early adopters could launch in Fall 2015. It seems like if we
show enough progress by February/ March, one of our early adopters already
is seriously considering it.

Generally speaking the community seems to like having about one release per
year (though I don't know that for a fact) and it is not clear we can do
that with Morpheus, because this change has implications through out Sakai
and requires full tool regression testing on multiple devices and
OS/browsers (exact type and amount of testing TBD, but it is big).

The feedback I've gotten so far, from three developers, supports this
approach. Interested in hearing if others agree or have concerns.

I've started a Pros and Cons and Assumptions Google doc

http://bit.ly/1uRoOgq

What do you think? Would be nice to get a bit more input.

Regards,
Neal Caidin
Sakai Community Coordinator