[WG: Sakai QA] Crowdsourcing an Open Apereo presentation

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Mon May 5 08:27:53 PDT 2014

[sakai-dev, sakai-qa, pedagogy, sakai-user]

Hi all,

A small group of us are giving a presentation on community at Open
Apereo 2014.  The theme is that all are welcome in the community, the
great benefits of participating actively, and how to get started.

We are going to share some user or institutional stories to demonstrate
ways to participate. While we have some examples in mind, would love to
hear your stories and maybe include a snippet for our Powerpoint slides!

If any of the themes resonate for you, please email me at
neal.caidin at apereo.org to share your story (or to discuss if you are not
sure it is relevant).

Thanks!

A few example Use cases for participation and the benefits:

* Participating in the surveys, like the Tool use survey (coming soon,
btw). Can use local results in your annual report. Can use community
results as a way to get a sense of which tools are well supported and
used. SQL queries provided!

* Diving into Jira for feature requests. Ways to contribute. Identify
community interest in development. Also a way to help fix things.

* Easy fixes. Developers needed for some bug fixes require less deep
knowledge of Sakai. Fixing these provides experience and frees up time
for senior developers to work on more difficult and challenging problems.

* Adopt-a-Tool - some institutions participated in Sakai 10 testing and
in the process, asked Sakai Coordinator questions to learn more about
the state of the community, and how to open Jiras. Felt more comfortable
with the upcoming Sakai 10 upgrade.

* Participating in Bug Bashes/ Test Fests.  Some similar benefits as
Adopt-a-tool.

Share your story! We want to hear them. :-)

Thanks,
Neal

--
Neal Caidin