[WG: Sakai QA] NOTICE: Sakai SVN repo migration scheduled for 5-6 April 2014

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Fri Mar 28 10:35:53 PDT 2014

Take heed
During the weekend of 5-6 April 2014 we plan to migrate our Sakai Subversion repositories, Maven 2.x repositories and other release artifacts from their current home at Indiana University to WushNet.   Both the SVN “core” and “contrib” repositories (including mSub) will be set to read-only commencing 4 April 201323:59 UTC.  We expect the repos to be back online and ready for business by Monday morning, 7 April 2014 (EST).  See below for further details.

Thank you Indiana
For ten years, Indiana University has hosted our Sakai “core” and “contrib” Subversion repositories along with other release-related assets. [1]  This has been one of several vital roles Indiana has played in provisioning and maintaining key parts of our development infrastructure. Committers, local institutional developers and staff and other technical contributors are accustomed to the reliable and quietly-efficient service Indiana provides to the Sakai community.

We often assume that such dedicated, long-term institutional support will continue indefinitely, but the reality of open-source communities is that change is inevitable. In this case, after a decade of service Indiana has asked to be relieved of the responsibility of hosting our current version control system and release environment. The Apereo Foundation has contracted with WushNet to host our Subversion repositories along with the Maven artifact repositories and other static release assets currently hosted by IU. [1]

Test repositories enabled
WushNet has successfully completed a test migration of both SVN repositories. [2]  Testing by select committers has not surfaced any issues with the test repos. This includes both global read access to public repos and the commit access control to authorized repos. Post-hook commit email notifications have also been tested successfully. [3]  Given this success, we plan to conduct the production transfer during the weekend of 5-6 April 2014.

Transfer weekend: 5-6 April 2014
As noted above, migration of the SVN repos will take place over the weekend of 5-6 April 2014.  Starting Friday, April 4 at 23:59 UTC, both the core and contrib repos (including msub) will be set to read-only.  No code commits will be accepted during the maintenance period.  Developers with commit rights to Sakai trunk, msub and contrib should plan accordingly.  If developers have uncommitted changes once the changeover starts, those changes will need to be handled manually following a fresh checkout from the new repository. Once the transfer is complete we will update the DNS record (a Michigan responsibility) and repoint the source.sakaiproject.org sub-domain to WushNet as well as confirm that the SSL cert have been properly applied.  We expect the repos to be back online on Monday morning, 7 April 2014 (EST).  If we can complete the work earlier we will do so.

Other static assets will be copied over to the Wush environment during the week of 31 March - 4 April 2014. The Maven release and snapshot repos will be refreshed as necessary (by way of Jenkins build jobs) once the DNS is updated.

SVN password reset: 7 April 2014
(COMMITTER ACTION REQUIRED)
WushNet is not able to preserve existing SVN passwords.  Once the transfer is complete, all trunk, msub, and contrib committers will need to reset their password credentials by visiting the Wush portal at

https://portal.wush.net/password/developer/home

Committers will be prompted to provide the repo account name ("sakai-svn") as well as your SVN username (your committer email address) in order to begin the password reset process.  The “sakai-svn” password reset password will also restore contrib commit access.

Nightly2
IU support for the Nightly2 servers will continue for the time being.  We anticipate eventually migrating this service as well.

Git/Github
We still plan to migrate Sakai trunk to Git/Github.  However, maintenance of the existing SVN repos will remain a community requirement for the foreseeable future.

I will follow up with additional reminders as the transfer date draws near.

Cheers,

Anthony

_____________________

[1] WushNet: http://wush.net/.  Wush currently hosts both our Jira and Confluence instances.  The code repositories and other release-related assets that will be moved include: