[WG: Sakai QA] [Building Sakai] Assignment resubmission issue

Charles Hedrick hedrick at rutgers.edu
Tue Jun 17 12:06:55 PDT 2014

The question is what options actually make sense. I don’t support confusing faculty by adding additional options that aren’t useful.

It makes sense for faculty to release grades at a specific time, and not to have the students see them until then.

Holding comments is a bit more complex.

I claim that if you allow resubmission, it makes no sense to hold comments until the instructor releases them. Suppose you comment on version 1 and the student submits version 2. What do you do with the comments? The comments may well not apply to the current student submission. I think comments make sense in two cases:

* After the last submission, they become part of final evaluation. It makes sense to hide them until release.
* While resubmission is enabled, the only usage that doesn’t lead to confusion is for the comments to go back to the student to guide the next version.

With the patch I attached, this is more or less what happens.

I didn’t touch handling of the comments interspersed with the student’s submission.  I just checked. If resubmission is not enabled, the interspersed comments are not shown for the current draft. They are shown for previous drafts. I think that makes sense. If no resubmissions are allowed, comments on the last draft could well be final comments that the instructor hasn’t released. Comments on previous drafts must (by definition) have been done when resubmission was allowed, and would have been seen by the students when they were submitting new versions. So showing them again seems OK.

So I would argue that the current code with the two patches I wrote (one that deals with the problem of the instructor not seeing current content) is correct.

However if we wanted to improve things (which I probably don’t recommend for 10.0) two changes could be made, both to display when submissions are disabled (whose code I haven’t touched yet);

* Currenty it shows the student’s more recent and previous submissions. If there are several submissions and they are long, this is a long and complex page. It would be better to use the same format as when resubmissions are allowed, which has a toggle that controls whether to show previous submissions
* The toggle to show previous comments, visible when resubmission is enabled, should also be shown when resubmissions are not enabled. Only the most recent comments should not be shown.