[WG: Sakai QA] Trunk nightly is not usable

Aaron Zeckoski azeckoski at unicon.net
Sun Apr 13 07:25:56 PDT 2014

It's a service start failure (as any widespread system failure tends
to be). I updated the ticket with some details from the logs.

Here is the kicker:
This is tricky because it is a startup order issue caused by these
services depending on each other. Basically:

MemoryService uses SecurityService, EventTrackingService,
ServerConfigurationService
SecurityService uses MemoryService, EventTrackingService,
ServerConfigurationService (and others)
EventTrackingService uses SecurityService (and others)

This could be tolerable as long as none of these services are used in
the init. Unfortunately, SecurityService inits it's caches. Nothing
uses SecurityService in the init EXCEPT the new MemoryService because
it needs to insert it into the selected implementation (this is the
new change).

In essence, these circular dependencies between the various services
make it impossible for Spring to establish a viable startup order and
this results in the NPE.

The real fix for this is quite complex because the service dependency
graph is cyclical and basically needs to be untangled and have the
cycles removed (of which there are... many). The quick-ish fix for
this is to change the MemoryService to lazy load the SecurityService
and EventTrackingService.

-AZ