[WG: Sakai QA] proceeding - Sakai 2.10 schedule

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Thu Oct 17 10:34:59 PDT 2013

[dev, qa and cle release]

Hi All,

This is a status update, and also a continuing call for updates and input.

It looks like the target dates for a 2.10 release is firming up. There is still some discussion on the PMC list (sakai-pmc at collab.sakaiproject.org. Formerly the TCC) about increasing the scope a bit and moving the timeline out a couple of months. I presume that discussion will move to the Dev list, plus other lists, if it gains traction. In the meantime, I think we need to proceed on the basis of the 2.10 schedule as-is for our targets (because if we don't then we are likely to miss our targets!). I would like to expand this discussion to other lists, but would prefer for the PMC to tie off on the scope question first. My 2 cents.

[Please remember that these are just target dates, not certainties. As we go through the various phases we should have a better idea of how realistic our schedule is.]

2.10 Target Schedule
-------------------------------
2013 mid-Oct  - Scope Freeze (about now….)
2013 mid-Nov (pre-Thanksgiving)  - Branch cut - Alpha 01
2014 early-February - Beta 01 - criteria - no blockers; string freeze; scope implementation freeze (in case we decide some scope items can be completed during Alpha.)
2014  early- April  - RC 01
2014 mid-May - GA (General Availability aka production)

Action for YOU
---------------------
If you added a link to a Jira with a patch, proposed to be in 2.10, to https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-24197 - since October 4 , please let me know. We reviewed all the Jiras linked before that date.

Scope items - need to lock these down ASAP
* Keep in mind that everything which has already been merged into trunk IS in scope. These are additional potential items.
* We need to identify everything that is going to get done and who is going to be doing it, and (for the most part) get it all done, before Alpha 01.  Any exceptions (i.e. items agreed to but may not be completed in time for Alpha) need to be agreed on and noted (planned).

a) Mixed content HTTP with HTTPS -  Is this in scope for 2.10?  I see some tickets like this, but curious if we are comprehesively covering this one. Example ticket - https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-23850

b) Link tool - decommission proposal - see http://collab.sakaiproject.org/pipermail/sakai-dev/2013-October/024844.html - Anthony Whyte

c) Yale Signup tool - current plan is to get this committed to trunk. Any objections/concerns?  Does this need a property to be turned off by default in 2.10? - AZ is helping with this.

d) Roster 2 tool to replace Roster - status?

e) Spring Annotations - Not hearing any objections to this one. If a Jira ticket is opened , assign to Aaron Zeckoski (volunteer to work on this)

f) Portal chat on by default - I'm hearing two objections on this one - 1) performance problems identified by UMich not addressed; 2) Security issue for Test and Quizzes (no way to turn chat off for a test).  At the moment, if the concerns are not addressed, this looks like it will remain OFF by default. Is anyone using Chat in production?
Review Portal chat performance: https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-22286
Remove chat from some sites/tools: https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-23258

g) News feed tool to replace the News tool?  or Steve Swinsburg offered his portlet as a replacement - https://wiki.jasig.org/display/PLT/Simple+RSS+Portlet .  Not hearing anyone stepping up to get the News feed tool updated, so it looks either like we should stick with the existing News tool or look into Steve's offer for his RSS portlet. What is the next step? Who will take this one? If we cannot come to a decision soon, the existing News feed will probably stay for 2.10

h) Retire Profile for Profile 2 - is Profile already retired? - status? Is anybody working on this?

Scope Change Control
"New" idea. Well actually new terminology for something that I think has been part of Sakai oversight.

The big idea behind Change Control is that plans change, so let's have an orderly way to manage them. My perception has been that the PMC (formerly TCC) has acted as a "Change Control Board" in the past. I just want to confirm that for the 2.10 release the PMC will function in this way, and if not, then how do we cover this important function? For example, when AntiSamy was introduced in CLE 2.9.2 and turned on by default in 2.9.3 , that was a TCC decision because it was a new feature added into a maintenance release. Even though 2.10 is a new release, not a maintenance release, suggested changes can still emerge. So is this roughly how things will continue to be managed?

Thanks,
Neal

Neal Caidin
Sakai CLE Community Coordinator