[WG: Sakai QA] Test plans in Jira

Oliver Williams oliver at opencollab.co.za
Thu Jul 11 08:08:26 PDT 2013

We use the Test Plan field for steps to reproduce in QA > UAT. The
Description is used differently, and may or may not included detailed
steps, depending on who logs the issue. So my vote is to keep the Test Plan
field.

Cheers,
Oliver

On 11 July 2013 14:41, Neal Caidin <neal.caidin at apereo.org> wrote:

> [qa and dev]
>
> Hi All,
>
> I wanted to get some feedback on Jira. For at least some of the projects
> (SAK and KNL, maybe others) we have a Test Plan field, but it gets used
> sporadically. Unfortunately, Test Plans themselves are often not included
> for issues needing testing. But this conversation is based on the idea that
> if we did add Test Plans consistently, what is the best way to do that.
>
> Also, it seems to me that we also need steps to reproduce an issue. I find
> that I often try reproducing an issue before testing a fix, at least in
> part to make sure I have a proper understanding of the problem. Steps to
> reproduce an issue should be included in the Jira.
>
> If you are not familiar with the Test Plan field in Jira, I've enclosed a
> couple of screenshots. One shows where the Test Plan field is located,
> which is in the Edit Issue dialog. The other screen shot (from a different
> issue) shows the display of the Test Plan field, once it has content filled
> in from the Edit Issue dialog. The Test Plan field displays two tabs,
> General (for some general fields like Merge flag), and Test Plan itself. It
> appears above the Description field.
>
> My questions:
>
> * Does everyone agree that it would be helpful to include both the steps
> to reproduce an issue (on initial Jira submission) and the Test Plan (at
> least by the time the issue has been resolved) ?
>
> * Does everyone agree that the steps to reproduce an issue should be in
> the Description field?
>
> * Should we use the Test Plan field? Or should the Test Plan go into the
> Description field?
>
> Pros of Test Plan field
> ---------------------------------
> * Nice organization. Easy to find the Test Plan separately. More readable.
>
> Cons of Test Plan field
> ------------------------------------
> * May be harder to find initially to fill in. Requires extra clicks (not
> on the main issue screen until after field filled in)
> * Not consistently available across all projects (this can be fixed)
>

> Cheers,
> Neal Caidin
>
> Sakai CLE Community Coordinator
> Apereo Foundation
>
> Skype id: nealkdin

*Oliver Williams*
Business Systems Analyst
*open**collab**
*
Tel: +27 21 970 4000 | Fax: +27 21 914 3098
Mobile: +27 72 305 2349 | Skype: oliveroverip
Web: www.opencollab.co.za

--

See OpenCollab email disclaimer at