[WG: Sakai QA] Proposal: Upgrade from Jira 5 to Jira 6

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Tue Dec 10 05:11:46 PST 2013

Proposal:
Upgrade Jira from (major version) 5 to Jira 6 the weekend of December 28.

Rationale:
To stay current for purposes of receiving better support, security patches, bug fixes, and the latest features (approximately in that order).

Implications:
Confluence has already been upgraded, not too long ago, so we are current there. Just behind by a version in Jira.

I asked our hosting provider, Wush.net, a few questions about the upgrade. Below are the details of that exchange.

Community input and Decision making:
A material objection raised by a Sakai PMC member will block this proposal.  Other opinions are welcome, indeed encouraged.  Silence equals consent. Input must be received by Friday, December 13, close of business, your time zone.

Detailed Q&A with Wush:

> I'm wondering if you recommend if we upgrade from Jira 5.2 to Jira 6 ?

Our usual recommendation is to wait until your plugins work, then try to upgrade when possible to avoid situations where you are multiple major versions behind.

According to the JIRA Update Check, it looks like the main plugin incompatibility is Voters and Watchers (see https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.plugin.votersAndWatchers). According to the plugin page, support for JIRA 6.x is not included because the newer version includes similar functionality built-in.

> If so, how long would an upgrade take? Are there many user interface changes? Any risk to existing data?

Upgrades usually take about 1 hour, but we ask that you plan a 4 hour window.

The user interface changed in a few places, but we have not heard any complaints of confusion. It mostly brings the look and feel more consistent with newer versions of Confluence and makes it easier to get to common tasks.

We will have a backup of your existing data, but upgrades are usually safe. Atlassian adds more consistency checks as time goes on, so really the main problem we deal with when upgrading is fixing up minor data corruption from older versions that are no longer silently accepted.

> If you are working around Christmas, that is a time I expect less activity from our users and therefore a good time for an upgrade. But there is no urgency that
> I can tell (depending on your answer to my first question).

Would the weekend between Christmas and New Years work for you?

end of proposal and supporting details.

Thanks,
Neal

Neal Caidin