[WG: Sakai QA] [cle-release-team] Almost ready for a Sakai 10 Bug Bash / Test Fest?

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Wed Dec 4 07:53:57 PST 2013

Hi Beth (and all),

The structure I’m thinking of for the Bug Bash/Test Fest or whatever we call it is Tool-focused. I will have a Google doc with one tab per Tool. Under the Tool tab will be a link to regression scripts, if we have them. If we don’t have regression scripts (or they are too out of date), I may put in a placeholder that indicates folks should do their own testing (i.e. use their own judgment). In the same tab will be a list of all the Jiras associated with the tool, sorted with the highest priority (blockers/criticals) on down.

I’m doubtful we will get all the tools tested and even more doubtful we will get all the Jiras tested (since there is close to 600 Jiras which could use testing of some sort). Also, when I quickly peruse Jiras, quite a few do not have test plans and it is not clear if functional testing is feasible for the “average tester” on many of these. Therefore, my hope is that we can:

* Complete testing of all Blocker and Critical bugs (and some Majors too, if there is time).
* Perform a simple “triage” to determine which Jiras cannot easily be tested as-is (from a QA tester perspective). This simple triage should help us in later rounds of testing.
* Touch as many tools as possible, so that everything gets at least a little bit of a workout.

Does that sound like the right goals?

I’m thinking we will start the testing next week, but that it will go through the week of Dec 16, at least.

We need to get QA servers setup, and I think that the QA server managers are waiting for me to provide them with configuration information (like which features will be on by default). I’m working on that, and help and suggestions are always welcome!

I would love it if there were Selenium scripts to automate testing. There are some available for doing setup (creating user accounts, etc) to make testing go a little quicker.

Thanks,
Neal

Neal Caidin
Sakai Community Coordinator