[WG: Sakai QA] Accessibility Meet-up, training opportunities, and sessions at the Sakai 2012 Conference

Richwine, Brian L brichwin at indiana.edu
Wed May 9 09:38:44 PDT 2012

Hi,

Joe Humbert and Brian Richwine (from the Sakai Accessibility working group) will be attending the Sakai Conference Monday June 11th through Wednesday June 13th.

It is a great opportunity for us to meet! We love to show you how as a developer, designer, or QA tester you can easily test for many commonly occurring accessibility issues using freely available tools.

We can teach you an accessibility QA protocol geared to non-accessibility professionals that details how to quickly test for many common accessibility issues -- even if you don't have experience with adaptive technologies or an extensive understanding of disabilities.

We can do live demonstrations and will have laptops setup that you can use to try your hand at accessibility testing or even at using some adaptive technologies (text-to-speech screen-reading software, screen magnifiers, voice recognition).

Or, if you like, we can simply evaluate your tool with you present and discuss the results. Maybe we can even dive into the code and fix some issues on the spot.

I (Brian) plan on spending as much time as possible in the hack-a-thon room. Feel free to email either of us to set something up, or look for one of us in the hack-a-thon.

Also, consider attending one of our presentations! (listed below...)

Sincerely,
  Joe Humbert and Brian Richwine
  Sakai Accessibility Working Group
  https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/2ACC/Accessibility+Working+Group

Sessions:
Accessibility Status of Sakai CLE and OAE
On 12-June-2012 at 3:45 PM to 4:45 PM in the Peachtree Ballroom

Interested in learning about the current status of Sakai's accessibility for both Collaboration and Learning Environment (CLE) and Open Academic Environment (OAE)? Come learn about the Sakai Accessibility Working Group and how it works to both evaluate and improve Sakai's accessibility.

This talk will include a description of Sakai's Accessibility Goals and how accessibility is included in the Sakai development and QA processes. We will also be sharing the latest results for the Sakai 2.9 and OAE v1.1 accessibility reviews including a possible roadmap for Sakai Accessibility. Discuss the top accessibility issues. Learn how you or others at your institution can get involved in the Accessibility Working Group to help improve access to Sakai for all users.

Accessibility and Innovative Design (BOF)
On 13-June-2012 at 2:30 PM to 3:30 PM in Tower 1401

Come join the discussion of how accessibility can improve usability for all users without stiffing innovation.

We will discuss the needs of users with disabilities, the technology they use, and share experiences we have heard from users.

This a chance to interact and ask questions of the Accessibility Working Group so together we may develop ideas on how to make many of the new and exciting features in Sakai OAE usable to users of assistive technology.