[WG: Sakai QA] Agile testing (Integration)

Alan Berg qa.director.sakai at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 01:43:00 PST 2011

Hi all,

 I intend to periodically e-mail these lists and then point out some
potential technologies of interest for automation and agile testing.
This is not to say hey you have to-do this, but rather as back ground
information for the motivated. We all have our mind sets and best
practices and I see this as a way to diffuse information and
communicate alternative possibilities. I will be placing the examples
and experiments under subversion contrib/amberg and if they mature
past "Proof Of Concepts" I will move them to contrib/qa

Integration tests

Sakai OAE has a very well thought out set of Integration tests. This
saves the process from the worst accesses of Friday afternoon / Monday
morning pressure. Another alternative to Ruby is to use Jmeter with
assertions. It is possible to run Jmeter from Hudson via Jmeter from
the command line and have reports generated via Plugins. The wiring is
already in place for example the Jmeter_ping job
(http://builds.sakaiproject.org:8080/job/jmeter_ping). Of course if we
do these tests via Hudson then we might end up needing a couple more
servers, but then we can at least share the blame via e-mail and
measure quantities over time via Hudson. The integration tests can run
locally via the Jmeter GUI.

Example source code:
https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/amberg/stress/Hudson_ant_jmeter/

I welcome any QA related material that you consider valuable to be
added or linked to in a Revision Control System preferably under
contrib/qa so that every organization has easy access to best practice
examples or anti patterns.

--
Alan

Alan Berg