[WG: Sakai QA] Search index permgen errors in 2.8 with search disabled?

John F. Hall hall at UDel.Edu
Fri Feb 25 06:22:21 PST 2011

I'm seeing these constantly in my 2.8.0 test install's catalina.out even
with no users using the system at all:

2011-02-24 15:32:02,720 ERROR IndexManager
org.sakaiproject.search.journal.impl.IndexManagementTimerTask -
Management Operation failed
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
2011-02-24 15:34:32,491 ERROR IndexManager
org.sakaiproject.search.journal.impl.IndexManagementTimerTask -
Management Operation failed
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Everything seems to work fine despite the permgen errors, which doesn't
seem right either.  I'd expect that to bring down the JVM.

Perhaps the strangest thing is I have search disabled in sakai.properties:
  search.enable = false
so I'm not sure why
org.sakaiproject.search.journal.impl.IndexManagementTimerTask would be
executing anyway.

I was originally seeing this in a mysql database upgraded from 2.6.3
with auto.ddl, but I dropped the db and restarted to get a fresh one and
still see it every couple of minutes.  It's in a new Tomcat 5.5.33
compiled and running on Java 1.6. -- I also tried compiling and running
in Java 1.5 and saw them there.

I saw it in both Sakai 2.8.0 beta5 and rc1

I tried lots of JAVA_OPTS tweaking, none have made it go away.
Currently it's:
export JAVA_OPTS="-server -Xms2048m -Xmx2048m -XX:PermSize=512m
-XX:MaxPermSize=512m -XX:NewSize=512m -XX:MaxNewSize=512m
-XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -Djava.awt.headless=true
-Dorg.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.STRICT_QUOTE_ESCAPING=false
-Dsun.lang.ClassLoader.allowArraySyntax=true"

So I guess my two questions are:
  1. Does anyone know if this is really a problem, or just spurious
messages?
  2. Does this mean search is indexing (or trying to)?  If so how do I
disable search in 2.8?

Thanks,
John