[WG: Sakai QA] Update: status of sakai-2.7.2

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Mon Aug 8 09:26:20 PDT 2011

Last week the I branched 2.7.x to a set of 2.7.2 release branches in preparation for a public release of sakai-2.7.2.  However, I noted that sakai-2.7.2 will sit on the launch pad until all blockers are resolved.  Blockers remain so this release is on hold.

In addition, testing late last week by UCT uncovered a number of regressions, some of which were traced back to required merges missing from kernel-1.1.x.  I corrected this problem last Friday and 2.7.2/2.7.x currently bind to a snapshot version of kernel-1.1.x but a follow up kernel release will be required before sakai-2.7.2 is issued.  Details below.

Additional updates will follow once the situation improves.

Cheers,

Anthony

OPEN/RE-OPENED BLOCKERS

1.  [NEW]  Site Info allows Null Group names: https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-20989

2.  Oracle conversion scripts: https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-20933

3.  Entity Picker site import issue: https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-16568
	I expect that this SAK will be marked as resolved before the day is out.

Note: other CLE 2x blockers exist but are not considered blockers for sakai-2.7.2

RECENTLY REVERTED

1. Announcement email configurable "from" field https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-14831
	Reverted due to regression.  See https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-20988 for more details.

NEW KERNEL RELEASE REQUIRED (kernel-1.1.13)

Currently both 2.7.x and the 2.7.2 release branch bind to kernel-1.1.13-SNAPSHOT due to problems encountered in last week's kernel-1.1.12 release.

KNL-589 (automatic file encoding detection), merged to both kernel-1.2.x and later to kernel-1.1.x, introduced a number of regressions that were fixed in subsequent tickets (KNL-653, KNL-681, KNL-682, KNL-683, KNL-714) in time for the sakai-2.8.0 release.  However, none of the follow up tickets (some required to resolve merge conflicts) had their 1.1.x branch status set to merge; consequently, the fixes were left out of the kernel-1.1.12 tag.

I would have caught this shortfall if I had reviewed the thicket of related tickets associated with KNL-589 with greater care; that said, primary responsibility for ensuring that tickets list all versions affected by a bug as well as which maintenance branches a fix should be applied after testing is completed lies with the contributor who resolves the issue.

QA SERVER

sakai-2.7.2 (r96507): http://qa1-za.sakaiproject.org/portal  (MySQL)

We do not as yet have sakai-2.7.2 running on an Oracle box.

2.7.2 CHECK OUT (QA ONLY--NOT PRODUCTION READY)

svn co https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/sakai/branches/sakai-2.7.2

Indies: https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/REL/sakai-2.7.2