[WG: Sakai QA] Jira upgrade: 3.13.2 -> 4.1.2

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Thu Sep 16 10:40:32 PDT 2010

I'd like to propose that we perform a Jira upgrade from our current 3.13.2 version to 4.1.2 (latest) next week (precise date/time TBD).  Jira 4.1 offers a variety of new features, a new look and numerous bug fixes that we should leverage (see highlights below).  In addition I've also added the charting plugin at the request of Alan Marks.

A test instance is available for review (db is a copy of the production db although 4 weeks old) and I encourage everyone with an interest in Jira to log in and have a look at 4.1.2 OOTB.

GIT PLUGIN ISSUES

One issue is worth discussing.  The Jira GIT plugin currently has no stable version compatible with Jira 4.1.   A fork of the Jira Git plugin is available and it might be worth trying it out.

See https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JGIT/JIRA+Git+Plugin

The fork: http://github.com/isungurov/jira4-git-plugin

Up until yesterday afternoon the Git plugin installed on our production Jira 3.13.2 instance was not configured for the github nakamura repo and was pointing to an outdated github repo for 3akai-ux.  I fixed both and added a changeset link for each commit so that we can at least look at code diffs.  3akai-ux is using the same root on the Wush box as was the out-dated repo so I'll have to check with Wush about cleaning it out so that nothing from Oszkar's old branch remains.

But now that the Git plugin is working do we block the upgrade?  Say it ain't so.

TEST INSTANCE

http://72.249.101.17:8080/secure/Dashboard.jspa

Login with your current Jira/Confluence user name and password.

TEST INSTANCE KNOWN ISSUES

1. email notification is disabled (deliberate)
2. test db is 4 weeks old
3. Jira GIT plugin is disabled (does not support Jira 4.1; renders dashboard pages blank)

JIRA 4.1 HIGHLIGHTS

New-Look Issues
Improved Global Keyboard Shortcuts
'Actions' Dropdown in Gadgets
'Bulk Move' Components and Versions
New-look User Profile, 'Manage Dashboards' and 'Manage Filters'
New JQL Functions 'lastLogin' and 'currentLogin', and Fields 'Voter' and 'Watcher'
List of Logged-In Users
List of Upgrade History
Time Tracking now accepts Fractions
Image Gallery
Download Attachments as a ZIP
Customisable Email Subject
'Heat Map' Gadget
Database Configuration Tool
XSRF protection
Database Drivers Included
Other Enhancements and Fixes
Plus over 80 other fixes and improvements

JIRA 4.1 RELEASE NOTES

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+4.1+Release+Notes

GUIDED TOUR (courtesy Atlassian)

http://sandbox.onjira.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa?story=2&os_username=sandbox&os_password=sandbox