[WG: Sakai QA] 2.8 proposed changes, etc. for discussion

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 19:25:17 PDT 2010

The history of the blog issue is:

At Paris, Adrian and I discussed the blog issue with the Sakai project coordinator and mentioned there was an updated one ready to go (same UI, better backend, written in Wicket). The resolution of that discussion was to move it from the branch it was in to replace trunk. Adrian did that, but the build broke because it depended on sakai-wicket which wasn't in the repository. There was a big uproar that the tool was replaced in trunk without any discussion on list, but considering he had been given the nod, thought it was ok. Members of this TCC were quite vocal on the matter, so we had to back it out. And it's not gone in since.

Since then the front end has been re-written again as a HTML/Javascript based tool, but the editor for creating a post has been improved and simplified. Its in production at Lancs.

I am in favour of removal of the the current blog code as it has historically been buggy and clunky. It's also written in JSF and some codes is in Spanish(!). As part of the Maintenance Team, I've been supporting it for the past two years and nearly all of the issues have been resolved but it's a dated tool that needs refreshing.

However not without a replacement going in. I would like to see the latest version in trunk as the blog is a core tool and is heavily used in Australia as a reflective journal.

The new version is called Clog (as opposed to Blog3):
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/CLOG/Home

I was on the understanding that the new blog would go through a similar process that I went through for Profile2. But that was an undertaking by the Product Council. I have Clog on the 2.8 proposed changes list for discussion.

cheers,
Steve