[WG: Sakai QA] Improvement of sample user provider (providers/sample/src/java/org/sakaiproject/provider/user/SampleUserDirectoryProvider.java)

Jean-Francois Leveque jean-francois.leveque at upmc.fr
Fri Nov 5 04:17:02 PDT 2010

Hi all,

Because is seems parts of sakai don't handle site members disappearing
from the UDP as smoothly as they could, I was trying to find a way to
reproduce this on test servers.

The sample user provider,
providers/sample/src/java/org/sakaiproject/provider/user/SampleUserDirectoryProvider.java,
has lots of things harcoded. It is therefore hard to reproduce such
problems without rebuilding.

I'm working on adding new properties to have a more configurable sample
user provider while still keeping the current behavior if they are not set.

One will enable changing the number of students.

One with repetitive data properties will enable having your own student
names and emails.

Another with repetitive data properties will enable having your own
other users with eid, names and emails.

Is there a JIRA for the tool self-registration of properties proposal by
Matt Jones?

I've found that findUsersByEmail and findUserByEmail assume that the
user with eid a has a at local.host for email. This works for most
hardcoded users but does not work for students with "real names". While
I understand it's useful to create lots of students that don't have real
names and use this shortcut, I think findUserByEmail and
findUsersByEmail should not assume this is the case for all users.

Is there any reason I should not remove this assumption?

Because we're past 2.8 code freeze, I would like to know where I should
document this 2.9 change when it's done.

Would anyone interested in those changes like to review when I'm ready?

Cheers,

J-F