[WG: Sakai QA] Toward 2.8 planning

Clay Fenlason clay.fenlason at et.gatech.edu
Mon May 31 06:50:22 PDT 2010

To advance the discussion yet a step further toward Project
Coordination meetings in Denver, I've tried again to lay out a
high-level overview of sets of work that might be considered. I've
gone a bit further in trying to separate desirability from likelihood,
and I've also tried to identify next steps. I'd like to get your help
filling out and correcting this collection of notes. For the moment
they remain fairly vague, but the intent is to tighten them up with
specifics on the approach to Denver.

On this page [1] I've put various change scenarios into three
groupings: probable. plausible, and long shot (I talked myself out of
a happy 3 with 'preposterous'). 'Probable' simply indicates that there
seems to be enough momentum and committed resource to make these
things happen in a reasonable timeframe, provided we get serious about
the planning and execution. 'Plausible' means that there are known
efforts to advance these agendas, and they may come through, but it
would take a surge in energy and leadership to bring them about in a
reasonable timeframe. The 'Long Shot' category includes those for
which there is either a high degree of uncertainty or difficulty (in
my own mind, which might very easily be corrected) or no committed
resource at all.

As things stand, it looks to me like the community is poised to make a
set of cross-cutting quality improvements a central theme of 2.8 (as
opposed to, say, feature additions).

Please do comment with any extra information you have, or comments on
the structure or elements. I am by no means suggesting that it is
complete or final, but rather a conversation starter based on my
limited perspective of community activity.

~Clay

[1] http://confluence.sakaiproject.org//x/RwghB