[WG: Sakai QA] Configuration of the QA servers

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Wed Mar 31 10:44:17 PDT 2010

Config-Viewer is out of date and needs some attention to get it going. This
is going to either require a discussion at the conference or a conference
call with interested parties. It only contains the properties up to 2.6,
with none of the properties beyond that. That would make it only marginally
useful on a QA server. There are 2 important pieces I would like to address,
that *seem* like they would require kernel api changes, unless I'm
overlooking something (hopefully I am)

1) The ServerConfigurationService api [1] has no method to either get the
names of properties or to get the internal properties object.
The BasicConfigurationService implementation of this has a method
"getProperties" which returns the properties, but not the dereferenced "raw"
properties, which I believe are the overridden spring properties. I also
don't know if there is a way to get the non-overridden spring bean
properties. (Even though they can be retrieved)

Ideally we it would be nice to have a method similar to the java Properties
underlying api that will allow you to get back a list or enumeration to go
through the list of property names. (like the
*propertyNames<http://../../java/util/Properties.html#propertyNames()>)
*method. Perhaps it could also go through the spring properties as well.
That would be great! :)

But it seems that because this would require kernel api changes, this
wouldn't happen until kernel 1.2?, which would push this feature off until
2.8, which would be pretty undesirable. :(

I have a script which searches through the source code to find all unique
properties in java code (getInt, getBoolean, getString, getStrings) and in
all of the xml files (<property name="(.*)"></property>) and just make a
data file. This could be used by config-viewer and is in a standalone jsp
which I was going to roll to the QA's. Perhaps this is the only easy way
this is going to get done in the short term.

2) All of the property descriptions (for config viewer) are being stored in
a central file in the tool. I want to push these out to the individual
tools, and let tool maintainers modify this file to this as they add new
properties rather than pushing for config-viewer updates. This would make it
easier for localization and keeping them up-to-date. However this would
require some changes to the tool listener to read these files and make these
(new properties) public. This likely wouldn't require an api change as they
could just be probably loaded up into the standard property system, though
I'm not sure how the localization would work.

I almost have a script which parses out the properties from config viewer
and distributes it among different tools. I'd wanted to have this completed
by the conference and implemented in the tools Michigan supports. Then if
people are interested they can jump on board. If not, their properties
wouldn't appear in config viewer 2.8. (Though any pre 2.6 properties would
still appear)

I'd proposed putting them in the same directory as the tool configuration
and letting the tool listener load them up. Files like:
sakai.assignment.properties.config (configuration messages) and
sakai.assignment.propertiesMessages.config (localized descriptions)

These issues keep coming up, and I think if I could put a week into nothing
but this I could make great progress, but it just seems to be a few hours at
a time.

[1]
https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/kernel/trunk/component-manager/src/main/java/org/sakaiproject/component/api/ServerConfigurationService.java
[2] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/Properties.html